Cary Ichter, Special Master & Mediator
Cary Ichter has served as a Mediator and a Court Appointed Special Master since 2005. He deals primarily in complex commercial law, mass tort cases, franchisor-franchisee disputes, business divorces, manufacturer and distributer matters and class action suits. He has been a Special Master in a diverse range of cases, including those involving construction disputes, legal malpractice claims, intellectual property disputes, trade secret cases, disputes amongst business partners and a class action case involving allegations that a toxic gas was dispersed in a highly-populated area. Cary served as the president of the Academy of Court Appointed Masters (ACAM) from 2015 to 2017.
Cary has served as lead counsel in more than 50 jury trials. He has earned many accolades over the course of his 30-plus-year career. He has been named amongst the Best Lawyers in America, Georgia Trend’s Legal Elite and a Georgia Super Lawyers.
Cary is a graduate of the University of Georgia where he graduated magna cum laude in 1984. He began his law career later that same year when he was admitted to the State Bar of Georgia. He went on to be admitted to practice in numerous courts, including the Georgia Supreme Court, the Georgia Court of Appeals, the U.S. District Courts for the northern and middle districts of Georgia, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit and Eighth Circuit, the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Career Highlights and Achievements
Cary’s career highlights are quite numerous, as he has litigated numerous cases involving a vast array of legal matters, including commercial law cases. He has:
- Tried dozens of jury trials. He has represented a diverse range of clients, including web developers, airlines and internet service providers. He represented and advised clients as they confronted legal matters such as software licensing, franchise relationships, sexual harassment, real estate contracts and professional wrestling;
- Defended five franchisees in arbitration proceedings spanning two weeks. The franchisor an eight-figure sum in future royalties, construction costs, legal fees and beyond. Attorney Ichter obtained a $1.2 million award on behalf of the franchisees on their counterclaims in the amount of roughly $1.2 million.
- Won a week-long trial that led to a judgment totaling $1,155,000. The case entailed a franchisor accused of fraud and RICO violations;
- Prevailed in a jury trial in a case that involved a local bank that sought to enforce a $5 million contract of guaranty, based upon a defense of forgery. He successfully avoided a motion for summary judgment, prevailing at trial;
- Favorably resolved more than a dozen claims in ten years as a manufacturer sought to eliminate its distribution network. Lawsuits were filed in Georgia, New Jersey, California, Michigan, North Carolina, and Puerto Rico and a number of additional claims were resolved before a formal legal claim became necessary. This included cases in states like Texas, Illinois, and New York;
- Handled contested and uncontested bond validation hearings for local developers, totaling more than $2 billion in all;
- Litigated disputes involving distributors and manufacturers across the nation, including California, New Jersey, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Puerto Rico; and
- Litigated numerous employment disputes, including cases involving sexual harassment, the Age Discrimination Employment Act, the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, and Title VII.
If you need Special Master or Mediation services from Cary Ichter, please contact Hecht Walker Mediation, Arbitration and Special Master services at 404-348-4881 or email MaryAnn@hmhwlaw.com